English language requirements

What if my language qualifications are below the requirements?

The University's English for Academic Study Unit offers a range of pre-sessional courses to bring you up to entry level. The course is accredited by BALEAP, the UK professional association for academic English teaching.

What language level do I need for my visa?

If you are an international student who needs a student visa to study in the UK then UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) will require assessment of your English language proficiency.

For undergraduate or postgraduate degree programmes, the University can make its own assessment of English language ability and therefore all the English language tests listed in the English language entry requirements are suitable to meet this requirement.

For pre-sessional courses that are below degree level, you will be required to take a UKVI approved Secure English Language Test (SELT). This can either be IELTS (Academic) for UKVI or Trinity College London ISE for UKVI.

Please note that you are exempt from the visa English language requirement if you are a national of a 'majority English-speaking' country as defined by the UKVI or hold a degree from a UKVI approved 'majority English-speaking' country.

For further information, see: